Weather Advisory Press Release

“Newark is preparing for extremely cold temperatures this week, we will meet nature’s challenge with the strength and resilience that defines us. I urge our residents to take precautions to keep their homes safe and be safe when they are out and about, and to check on their neighbors, especially the disabled, children, and the elderly.”

Department of Health and Community Wellness Director Dr. Mark Wade

From December 18th to December 21st the city of Newark braces for upcoming extreme cold weather. This advisory is to remind residents to remain covered and insulated when traveling this weekend as well as informing local enforcement whereabouts of the homeless. Listed below will be tips for coping with the cold weather and keeping your home safe.

Keep the house heated to a minimum of 68 degrees. The temperatures inside the walls where the pipes are located is substantially colder than the walls themselves. A temperature lower than 68 degrees will not keep the inside walls from freezing.

·         Identify the locations for the main water shutoff in your home. Find out how it works in case you have to use it.

·         Open hot and cold faucets enough to let them drip slowly. Keeping water moving within the pipes will prevent them from freezing.

·         Check on seniors to make sure that they are warm and dry.

·         Stay indoors as much as possible.

·         Check all windows and doors for drafts. Place plastic if you feel a draft.

·         Do not leave space heaters unattended.

·         Do not use generators indoors.

·         It is illegal to use kerosene heaters indoors.

·         Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.

·         Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.

·         Never use your oven to heat your home.

·         Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.

·         Take inventory of emergency items.

·         Test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms monthly.

·         Avoid carbon monoxide poisoning by checking and cleaning your furnace and chimney regularly and ensure you have proper ventilation and the exhaust pipe is free of debris.

Any further questions can be directed to the non-emergency call center at (973) 733-4311

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.